Saturday, May 31, 2008

EX's and EX's EX's

We went to an interesting confirmation last weekend. Confirmation is a big deal in Norway. The young man getting confirmed is my godchild, Christian, who is also the son of my ex's daughter by a former marriage. She had invited all the relatives: There were myself and Husband, and all four of my children who are Christian's uncles and aunts. My ex who hasn't been on talking terms with his daughter for 12 years came with his current wife and his sister. My ex's first ex, Christian's maternal Grandmother was also there. She and my ex hadn't seen each other in 25 years. Finally there was Christian's mother's ex: Chrisians father, though he didn't bring his new wife and children, and various relatives of Christian's mother's fiance. It was a gathering of ex's and new partners, but every one behaved well and was pleasant.

I think he had a memorable day: it was warm and sunny. During the seremony in the church the priest from Sierra Leone gave a sermon that cracked everybody up. He was so funny! The theme was riches in goods vs riches in God. A fitting subject as it is common to give money and gifts for confirmations, and the kids tend to compete on who gets the most money. When Christian had counted up his gifts he had recieved a total of about $8000. That definitly puts him near the top of the class as far as confirmation money goes. There was lot's of good food, and songs written especially for the occasion by his grandmother (another norwegian custom).

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any pictures of Merete you could send me? How is she anyway? - Ilian

    ReplyDelete