Saturday, September 27, 2008

Home but Robbed!

Returned home from Crete yesterday, to trees fiery with gold, yellow, and red; and a black velvet night sky, studded with stars. Not too cold either: temps are 50's.

Topsy was all excited to see us again. A happy surprise was that Puseline, who has been gone since May 1 has come back, lonely and skrawny, but bossy as ever. She and Fluffy seem to tolerate each other, occasionally hissing at each other, but otherwise ignoring each other. Fluffy was Irene's cat whom we adopted when she and her boyfriend split up. I'm sure Puseline was not pleased to see that we had taken in a strange cat, and Fluffy must have wondered at this impudent stranger just walking in and making herself at home.

My wallet got stolen at the airport. All the years travelling in Italy, Egypt, Greece, London, Paris I've escaped thieves only to have it happen in what is practically my home town! It is outrageous! I had purchased train tickets and then bought some juice and a couple of bananas, paying each time with my VISA card since I didn't have Norwegian currency. We sat for halv an hour, then 10 minutes before our train was due we went down to the track. "Do you have the tickets?" asked Tor. "They're in my wallet" I replied. That's when I noticed that the zipper to my bag was open and the wallet gone. I retraced my steps, hoping it had just fallen out and was still lying there. No such luck. Called the lost-and-found, introduced myself, and asked if anyone had turned in a wallet in the past half hour. "No," the girl said, "No wallet. What was your name again? Someone turned in two credit cards with your name!" It was my bank debit card and Master Card. The VISA card and wallet with my drivers licence and various insurance cards remained missing. What cinched it for me was that when I asked where the cards had been found it turned out to have been on an escalator in a part of the Arrivals Hall where I hadn't even been. My theory is that someone watched me use the card, made note of my PIN and then opened my bag and took the wallet out while I had my hands full of groceries.

Obviously we stopped all the cards as soon as we discovered that the wallet was gone. So now I have no credit cards and no access to my bank account, and the bank will be closed until monday. Ordered new insurance cards on the internet today, and went to the police station to get an interim drivers licence until I can order a new one from the dept of motor vehicles. Luckily I still had picture ID. My passport was in Husband's pocket, not in my wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment