Sunday, September 13, 2009

Back in Norway and college

I've been back at college for a week. A few people asked how things went with Father, and I told them. Other than that, Norwegians seem to be incredibly reticent about mentioning anything to do with Father's death. Not that they know him, but it's been no secret that I have lost my father. I think the only reason my student colleagues asked is because they didn't know that he had died. None of my work colleagues have breathed a word, although 32 of them are on facebook. Well, I haven't been to work yet since I got back. Someone might say something.

The short and long of it is though that I feel kind of invisible. As soon as my mind is at rest it goes to Father and Mother, to our family that doesn't exist any more as we knew it. I miss them. I miss Mother, Roland and Sharon, and Ilian, and Adam and his family and "the boys" (Beren and Tormod).

Still, for the most part I have been keeping busy this week: a theme day on organ harvesting and transplant surgery on monday, classes on anesthesia on tuesday and wednesday. I am 2 weeks behind the rest of the class with a research project. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do it - but no such luck. Though I do get to do a shortened version and I get more time. Still I have been slaving over research since thursday and all weekend.

We visited my in-laws this weekend. Stayed with my brother-in-law and family. Much more relaxing than previous visits where we have stayed with Husband's parents. The children are wonderful: Cathrine, age 13 and Christian, age 6. Jan Kåre and Marie have done a good job with them. I think the same thing when I see Adam's children: Hanna, 16 and Ben, 12. Great kids. Why was it such a struggle for me? Because I had 4, not 2? Because I had them so close together? Maybe. I think though that the real reason is that in both these families the parents cooperate very well with each other, while in my case, my ex and I never worked well together. Then when we came apart I was overwhelmed and he was unsupportive; and it was the children who suffered.

3 comments:

  1. Don't be hard on yourself, Gudrun. You have 4 really great children - young adults - that I am proud to say are my nieces and nephews. As to feeling invisible and thoughts constantly turning to Mother and Father and the siblings, their spouses and children, and Beren - that is happening a lot to me too. So many things that I say and do came from father. Now I'm hyper-conscious about it. We'll get used to it. yeah, and I'm checking everyone's blog more regularly now too.

    Ilian

    ReplyDelete
  2. ehm.. I just want to say, that you did not fall short when it came to your kids!
    I think we all turned out pretty well, and you have no idea how incredibly proud I am to have you as my mother. That you actually managed to raise 4 kids (practically on your own) and work, AND get an education is the most amazing thing ever! I have no idea how you did it, but I am so thankful of the way I was raised, of the person I have become thanks to you and the fact that we have the greatest mother in the universe..
    I really look up to you, and when I get kids, I will be lucky if I manage to do half as good a job as you did with us :)

    LOVE YOU MOM! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't mean that you all didn't turn out well. More that it was a bumpy road and I often wasn't sure whether things would turn out good or not. But I am pleased that you all remember your childhood as a happy one - that is the most important thing I think.

    ReplyDelete