Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Training for the inca trail

Working out more was one of my resolutions for after graduation. For the first 6 months of the year I was managing to work out 1 hr a week, and for the year before that I worked out even more sporadically. Also I have done zero strength training in the past year and a half. The only regular exercise I've been getting was a 20 minute (not necesarily brisk) walk with the dogs every morning.

There are a number of reasons to work out:

  1. Losing weight. Around christmas I became officially overweight as defined by BMI > 25.
  2. protects against heart disease and diabetes (not that I am really in any danger of aquiring these, but it's nice to know) as well as certain kinds of cancer - specifically colon and breast (now that I am worried about).
  3. Helps promote a positive outlook. My husband tells me I'm negative all the time. Since aquiring an mp3 player exercise also gives me an excuse to listen to audio books, music and keep abreast of the latest news via the BBC world service.
  4. Protects against Dementia! Apparently, according to a book I'm reading on brain research, exercise causes new brain cells to "grow". Also middle-aged and older people who exercise have been found to have heavier brains that people of the same age who don't. As far as I'm concerned is more important than being protected from heart disease and diabetes).

All this is regarding any exercise that increases the heart and respiratory rate and makes you sweaty: ie brisk walking, bicycling, orienteering, cross country skiing, and dancing to name the ones I do.

Strength training has other benefits. I do mostly pilates and yoga based strength training.

  1. Strengthens the bones. Important for us women after menopause whose bones easily get brittle if we don't strengthen them.
  2. Protects the joints and the back from wear and tear. If you have arthritic joints, strengthening the muscles that hold them in place protects them. Same goes for lower back pain (or any back pain). If you strenghten the muscles of the back and abdomen it protects your back.
  3. Improves balance, suppleness and provides relaxation.
  4. Improves the figure (or so they claim).

So what am I doing about it?

In the first month since graduation I doubled my workouts: from once to twice a week. Then in July I increased my workouts to 2-3 X a week, and since I started having back problems I've started up strength training 2-3 X a week also. In august I'm intending to increase both cardio work-outs and strength training to 3-4X a week (30 - 90 minute sessions, depending).

Mostly I've been orienteering and bicycling to and from work. It takes me 45 minutes to bike to work (about 10 miles) and 55 minutes to bike home. Why the extra 10 minutes? well for one thing I'm tired after work, and for another it's more uphill. Biking to work is grinding to a halt for the summer though. 2 weeks ago I discovered that it was getting too dark to bike home from the evening shift (at 10 pm). On sunday I found that though the sun was only just setting as I was leaving for the night shift, it was quite dark by the time I arrived. I will maybe give biking one more try next wednesday when I have an 11 am to 7 pm shift, providing it's not raining, and that will be the end. The orienteering season goes on until the end of september. After that my source of cardio will be "spinning" at the gym, pluss maybe dancing (husband has suggested we could maybe start swingdancing again), and skiing, when the snow comes.

According to husband it is important to train toward a goal (personally I tend more toward focus on the process rather than goal orientation, but I think finding a balance is important). We have talked about visiting Machu Pichu in Peru for our 10th aniversary next year, and while researching it, I discovered that one can do a 4 day hike along the inca trail to Machu Pichu! In my current shape it is unlikely that I would be able to enjoy a 4 day hike at high altitudes: so this is the goal for this winters training: to hike the Inca trail to Maccu Piccu!

No comments:

Post a Comment