Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In Memory of Trygve Sund




What I remember best about Trygve was working in the barn together. At Alm when 2 people did chores together the responsibilities were clearly defined. Working with Trygve was very fluid. Each knew where the other was in the whole of the work to be done, and could overlap into each others areas of responsibilities as appropriate to keep the whole work flowing, thus working in harmony until the job was done. It is for me the prototype of team work.  

Trygve was the first in this area to decide to farm organically, even bio-dynamically at a time when such a thing was unheard of (around 1970), and certainly recieved no support from the agricultural authorities. He was scoffed at, and ridiculed but carried on. Now the impulse for organic and biodynamic agriculture has taken root in Stange with many farms all around, and many of the farmers were at the funeral. 


I know that Trygve traveled all over the world to lecture about bio-dynamic agriculture. I mostly saw him as pictured here: in worn work clothes, hair awry, hands dirty. It was said at the funeral that it would be typical of Trygve to be combining or plowing until far into the night. Then early next morning to be off on one of his lecture trips.


Trygve was always cheerfull, always friendly and kind. His wisdom was very down to earth. In light of my recent financial troubles a particular thing comes to mind. Trygve told me that the trick to always having enough money,  is to match your needs to your means. Wise words indeed!  


Trygve is buried in the family grave site at Stange Kirke, the old stone church from viking times whose churchyard borders Alm Ă˜stre, the farm that Trygve tended all his life. The church overlooks the lake and the farmland all around. A fitting resting place for a man who did so much to change farming in this area. Rest in Peace!


2 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity, I "googled" for "Trygve Sund" tonight. It was sad to learn that he died almost a year ago.
    I spend some weeks in summer 1975 at Alm Ostre and worked there. What I will never forget, is the feeling I had, when I entered the house for the first time. Even though I had never been to Norway before, I felt like coming home to a place which I knew very well. I think this was the spirit of Trygve, I had the pleasure to enjoy.
    Unfortunately, I never met Trygve again, my life in Germany led me to a different road. But I'm still thankful for what he and his wife and the community gave me then.

    Felix B. from Frankfurt, Germany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also googled trygve sund tonight, thinking of going to norway again and see wether this special place and special people are still there... heartbeat by finding his name and his farm, sadness by reading about his death! I worked on alm gard in summer 1986, and i'm also very thankful - i often remember those months in norway as the maybe most worthful in my live! Thanks to trygve and erna!!! And good luck for those who keep the place today!

    Ulrike from germany

    ReplyDelete