Monday, December 20, 2010

Living simply

A simple life is when you only have a couple of things to think about. For example when I was going to college, life basically consisted of 3 things: study, work and sleep. There was a little housework but the time was so limited that I could only do the absolutely necesary: I walked the dogs every morning, worked out once a week, did the laundry, shopping and cooked dinner most days. Period. That is all I had time for.

This weekend, life is simple too. It is my night work weekend, meaning that I have 3 night shifts in a row. This basically means that I am either working or sleeping. My waking time at home is pretty much spent in a coma, and dinner is warmed up leftovers.

A complicated life is a life that requires a lot of planning and/or juggling the things I want to do with the I have to do. Meditation, working out, learning Spanish, training my dog, and staying in touch with family members are some of the things I want to do. Participating in housework, and taking extra shifts at work are things that are necesary. To make time for everything requires a good bit of coordinating.

I suppose if I stuck with doing only what I have to do and what others (husband, my boss) expect of me life would be fairly simple - only I don't think it would be very satisfying. It is when I do what I want that I feel satisfaction. Wanting what I must is satisfying. Doing what I must but don't want is a drag. So, except for some short periods like the night work weekend, my life is complicated, by virtue of having too many irons in the fire and trying to please too many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment