Sunday, February 13, 2011

Night Work Weekend


"Søsterblokkene" from the bus stop in front of AHUS


This week I had my first evening and night shifts in the new job. After 5 days off I was well rested, and discovered that an evening shift where I don't get home until 1 am is absolutely horrible, while getting up at 4:15 to get to a dayshift is manageable. I even had some energy left at the end of the day.

This weekend I had night shifts, and stayed over in the "søsterblokk" - rooms that the hospital rents to travelling nurses, and people like me who have a long commute. It is convenient to live just 2 minutes from the hospital. My room was on the first floor, next to the living room. There were 3 other rooms + kitchen and bath. Apparently all 3 floors share the living room. Each floor has it's own kitchen and bath/showers. The rooms/appartments are clean, but you have to bring your own bedding, and there was no Internett. That is, apparently there is internett on the second and third floors (it's the hospital nett that reaches over here), but I ended up having to actually go over to the hospital to get internett.

I had a bit of a stress when I let my cell phone battery die, before realizing that I didn't knowing the PIN. Also to log onto the hospital net (my alternative method of contacting husband) you need to get a PIN that they message to your cell phone. I tossed and turned, unable to sleep after my first night, just from stress. Not until I figured out that I could use an employee pc to log onto the net and got my phone PIN from Husband, was I able to sleep properly.



Here's what husband does when I'm away: indoor cycling with his cycle club.

2 comments:

  1. How nice that they have such a place! My mother-in-law was a traveling ER nurse for several years here in the US, and her employment agency gave her a stipend to find her own housing wherever she went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems actually to be quite common here in Norway for Hospitals to have a block of flats to rent out to travelers, interns and students. But it really is nice. I absolutely agree with that.

    ReplyDelete