Friday, April 29, 2011

Planting the garden








Above is the garden about 10 days ago. The snow had melted. Husband had raked and turned over the soil. I still had a couple of night shifts before I could start planting.
I had a the last week of April off from work, and spent it (between visits from my son, then my mother, pluss and agility competition) planting the garden. I am trying these plastic tunnels for the first time this year. They have holes for letting in the rain and for air. In previous years I have only used the fiberglass cloth that you see on the farthest bed. If the plastic doesn't work (I have my doubs) I might try the fiberglass cloth over the hoops. You see,I like the idea of the tunnel.
What do I have planted, you wonder? Under the fiberglass cloth I have various salad greens, spring onion, dill and radishes. Under the 2 adjoining tunnels are carrots and onions (companion planting) and the tunnel by itself has may turnips and kale. A row of sugar peas are on the one side of this, and in the empty space I plan to transplant some broccoli when I get it from the garden center in a week or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment