Saturday, December 10, 2011

Team admissions

They called me from work, just before I was leaving to catch the train for my 12 O'clock shift. Asked me to come for the evening shift at 3pm instead. Gave me 3 extra hours to do stuff here at home. Even if it meant I wouldn't be home until 1 pm. Right now, on the train home I can hardly keep my eyes open.

It turned out to be a busy shift. 3 team admissions. That's a lot in one shift. A surgical team is called for an MVC or other accident requiring trauma assessment, but also for unstable patients such as leaking aorta aneurisms etc. A medical team is called for unstable medical patients. We also have stroke teams for patients that are candidates for thrombolytic treatment, pediatric teams for critically sick children, and birth teams for patients entering the ER on the point of delivery. A team admission means that the relevant assisting physicians are present as well as interns and residents, anesthesia staff, and 2 experienced ER nurses. Depending on the team a surgical nurse (trauma), pediatric nurse (ped and birth) and midwife will be part of the team as well.

Tonight the teams were:
1. a motor vehicle accident: an 18 year old had slid off the road and the car overturned in the bad weather.

2. A 13 year old who had been kicked by a horse.

3. An elderly lady with difficulty breathing

No comments:

Post a Comment