Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Doctor, Old Problems

The old problems are relating to that time of life called "overgangsalder" in Norwegian which roughly translates to "age of transition". To deal with these I was put on a 3 month regimen of HRT (hormone replacement therapy). This caused my emotiotional life to become like riding a roller coaster (and I don't like roller coasters!). Stuff that I am usually able to take in stride either sends me into a rage where I have been known to throw broccoli or dishtowels at husband or despair, where I cry for hours. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by black depression, it is as if I am looking at the world through a black veil. The only way to keep my self in hand is escape: listening to an audio book for example. It helps me, but is no more helpful to husband as I become unavailable, with my attention focused on the story. Audio books do have the advantage that I can do some work while listening, as opposed to reading, which is just as effective an escape, only I get nothing done. The last time I was on the roller coaster I recieved the following application from husband:

(Norwegian speakers can click on the picture to enlarge it, for non-norwegian speakers and english translation follows):
Application for good mood.
Dear you
Would be very happy if you were in a little bit better mood tomorrow, because then life would be so much easier to live for both of us. It is very tiring all the time to have to look back over my shoulders to check that that there is no flying broccoli etc coming after me.
Smile to the world and it will smile to you.
hugs from your husband who is nervous about flying broccoli.
(posted with permission from husband)

The new doctor, though trained as an MD, also practices homeopathy and natural medicine. He has given me a number of homeopathic drops and powders. So here's to a more natural "Age of Transition"!

3 comments:

  1. Finally got around to read the latest posts! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! :D

    It's translated to Menopause.

    Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think doctors are rethinking their reliance on HRT, aren't they? Menopause is "medicalized" into being a problem rather than just a normal part of life. If "symptoms" are too difficult then I suppose treatment is appropriate, but HRT seems to be too big a stick in many cases.

    I love husband's letter! I need to do that for my hubby, who does seem to get in really black moods regularly.

    ReplyDelete