Saturday, February 4, 2012

Knut's Funeral


Today I went to the funeral of someone with whom I spent 12 years of my life: the father of my children. I drove 2,5 hours from our place in the woods of Østfold, south of Oslo northwards to a small church overlooking the Randsfjorden lake. It was a sunny day, crispy cold. Mist rising up off the lake. A small intimate little church, the surrounding gravestones peaking up from the snow. The priest, an round, bald, fatherly man, gave a kind of informal warmth to the service.

Sitting there in the pew I thought of the good things this person had brought into my life, of things we had shared, and lessons I had learned through living with him. The farm up near the arctic circle which we farmed for 6 years. Our travels to England and the US, visiting cultural sites in England, and exploring state and national parks in the US. Reading The Philosophy of Freedom, together. He taught me to ski. Commitment to the truth, and the importance of Keeping Agreements. And the greatest gifts: 4 lovely children, now young adults.

Rest in Peace!



2 comments:

  1. This is sweet mom :) Thank you for being there <3 it meant a lot to me :') Love you!

    ReplyDelete