Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I bought a Juicer!

Here's the juicer all set up with fruit and veg for my first juice!
Lately I've been reading how orange juice, etc isn't all that good for you. We're talking about packaged juice from concentrate, even when it is 100% juice, nothing added. It is advertised that a glass of juice counts as one of your 5-per-day. But when you think about it, the juice has been concentrated, frozen, thawed again, pasturised, and god knows what else. That is A LOT of processing, and it is reasonable to assume that there is little remaining of the original content of enzymes, or water soluble vitamins like C and B-complex. These can be destroyed by heat, evaporation when food is finely processed. Freezing reduces the amounts as well. 

When Irene visited at Easter we watched a film called "Fat, sick and nearly Dead", about the amazing health benefits of freshly made fruit and vegetable juice. I've also been reading a blog (also at the suggestion of Irene) called http://www.thewellnesswarrior.com.au/ This is about a girl's journey to cure herself of a terminal and incurable form of cancer with the Gerson Therapy, a large component of which is juicing.

However it was the movie we saw that decided me. I hadn't spent my valentines present from Husband yet, so I went out and bought a juicer.

Making my first juice.
 I did some research first and decided on a juicer that squeezes rather than sentrifuges the juice:

1. It's quieter
2. more juice, less pulp
3. it can do greens.

I was most worried about haveing to throw so much away, and am experimenting with using the pulp for soups (veg), or in yogurt (fruit). 

No comments:

Post a Comment