Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Planting the garden

After the hot and sunny weekend the forecast was for rain. Monday was humid and overcast, and though it was a holiday garden centers are open, so I went to buy plants. And I wasn't the only one with that idea. The parking lot was packed and people were parked along the side of the road.  Anyway, I got my veggie plants and went home and planted them. Sure enough it started raining the same night and has been coming down since. There are a lot of floods in the area, but since we are situated on a hilltop and my beds are these boxes there is no danger of the plants drowning. 


Above I have planted 12 strawberry plants and am giving them a good soak since I am unsure how long it will be before the rain comes.


I had planted turnips and sugar peas from seed a couple of weeks ago. The turnips are on the left, the sugar peas just barely germinating on the right. In between I have planted 10 Kale plants. I plan to use the young leaves so that they won't get a chance to overshadow the other vegetables.


Three zucchini plants and 2 aspargus. It'll be a few years before we can pick any aspargus, but hopefully this year I didn't plant too many zucchini plants. Last year we were drowning in zucchini. We had zucchini for dinner every single day for 3 months! 

No comments:

Post a Comment