Sunday, December 15, 2013

Just Me and the Dog

Sunday morning in Kritsa. Walking through the village. Listening to the village sounds of dogs barking, cocks crowing and the chanting of the priest on loudspeaker from the church clear on the other end of the village.

Lucy, the "flying" dog :)

Yesterday was a day of travel. When we set out at 2:30 am it was snowing heavily. Tor Idar drove me to the airport and we arrived shortly before 4 am. I wanted to get there in plenty of time as it was my first time flying with Lucy, but it turned out that checkin didn't even open until 4:30 and the checkin for people without boarding passes didn't open until 5:15. My «special baggage» didn't allow me to check in online. It seemed to me that that would be cutting things awfully short what with my flight leaving at 6:10, but the lady came at 5 am and I was first in line. After going over my paperwork, taking my suitcase which was exactly 20 kg (the maximum limit), and issuing my boarding card I took delivered Lucy to the special baggage people and paid her fare of 450 kr. I left her starting to work on getting at the dog food that I had stuffed into a toy. Then on through security, and to the gate for boarding. I didn't see them load her on, but asked before boarding and was assured that may dog was on the plane.

In Copenhagen I had a 1:15 hr layover, most of which I spent going from the arrival gate to the departure gate for my next flight. When I arrived I could see a trolley with Lucy's crate on it from the window. I watched as workers would stop to talk to her and put out their hands to pet her through the door of the crate. None of them jumped back so I had to assume that Lucy was not acting protective of her space. The lady at the gate told me that she had alerted the pilot to turn on the heat in the hold where Lucy would be kept. Then she went outside to say hello to Lucy. When she returned she told me that Lucy was being very sweet and friendly, that she had licked her hands. She was alert and her ears pricked and listening to the sounds around her, but did not seem stressed. I watched them load the crate before getting in line to board.

Lucy outside the Departures Hall at Gardermoen, Oslo
In Athens, I got my suitcase and shortly after a guy came with Lucy's crate on a trolley. I let her out. Nobody wanted to see her papers. The customs guy just waved us through. She was a bit stiff after 7 hours in the crate and we went straight outside to walk along the shrubbery so she could do her business. As for me, the scent of Greece lifted my heart. I'm not sure what it is, but it makes me feel at home. Checking the dog in for the flight to Crete was a lengthier process than in Norway. First they checked her papers. Then she had to stand on a scale. I think the guy didn't believe me when I said that she was only 15 kg. Then I had to go pay her fare of 350 kr. They also require you to deliver the dog to special baggage at least 1 hour before takeoff. We had some time to kill until then and the arrivals hall was not crowded so we played games. “foot and side” with tight turns and sudden stops. Recalls. Sit, stand, down, it's your choice, back up, sit pretty. Every one was greatly impressed with her tricks. I also started teaching her slallom through my legs. When I took her to the special baggage place they x-rayed the crate before I put her into it. Again I checked at the gate before boarding for confirmation that Lucy was actually on the plane.

Lucy outside the arrivals hall at Athens Airport. 
In Heraklion it took forever before they brought Lucy. Everybody had picked up their luggage and was gone before the crate arrived. The rental car guy had just about given up when I finally came out. The car is a bright red, Suzuki Alto, the crate fits nicely in the back seat. The insurance only covers me if I drive on asphalt roads, but it has free mileage.

Lucy in her dog bed at Kritsanna 

I am writing sitting on the roof terrace, with my simple breakfast of coffee, freshly pressed oranges, and Greek yogurt with honey and the orange pulp. Lucy has made herself at home here. She seems to like lying on the roof terrace. This first day I am figuring out how everything works, and what needs repairing etc. The house is cold (13 degrees) But I hate the noise of the air conditioner. I've got the wood stove burning, though it took awhile to convince the smoke to go up the chimney and not into the whole house.

Lucy relaxing on the roof terrace.

It is a bittersweet experience being here alone, as I have good memories of our stay here together in March and also of our vacation in the US in September. I have to remind myself that life is mostly “everyday” (hverdager), and not vacations. 













2 comments: