Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Peninsula of Kolokytha



Looking back on Agios Nicolaos as I take the road to Elounda

Ahead you can see the peninsula of Kolokytha

Shallows near the causeway
The first thing you come to are these old windmills
First the road follows the beach

Fishermen along the road that skirts the edge of the peninsula
Then I took off toward the hill, following this sign

Looking down on the beach below

I reach the top of the hill and there before me is the sea again and the island of Spinalonga

A paved path to the left leads to a little church. I go to explore.

View of Spinalonga from the church

You can see the top of the hill just beyond the church
Here's the bell tower.
Rested in the church yard and had my picnic

Here is the sea again on the way back

The road winds along. You can see Elounda in the distance.



Back at the windmills



No comments:

Post a Comment