Saturday, May 5, 2007

Mother's Birthday

This year is Mother's 75th birthday! Those of us who were in town gathered at my house on Thursday afternoon to celebrate: Ingvild and I, Mother and Father, even Roland and Sharon came, surfacing from end of term round the clock frenzy of writing papers. I was especially happy about that, because I know they have little time. We went out to eat at Sebastian's Cucina, the new organic restaurant, featuring grass fed beef raised by Sebastian himself, as well as fish and a few vegetarian dishes. The food was good, but not great. The prices were good, considering that most of the food was organic though. The atmosphere was cozy. I guess with a name like that, I had expected the menu to feature Italian food, which it did not. After dinner we went back to my place for cake and tea. Cake being the delicious nut and chocolate layer cake from Green Star.
The party broke up pretty early, Sharon had to get back to her writing, and Mother and Father are going to San Diego tomorrow to visit my sister. Not surprisingly Mother has not packed yet.

I was surprised however, when I arrived at the farm on friday morning to find her standing over the stove cooking blinzes for breakfast, 45 minutes before we were due to leave for the airport.
"Shall I put your bags in the car awhile?" I asked.
"Oh, I haven't finished packing yet!" was the answer.
We got to the airport a bare hour before the plane was due to leave. One of these days Mother is going to miss a plane. She's a regular Bridget Jones when it comes to packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment