Monday, October 27, 2008

news update

Good news today!I was accepted into the nurse anesthesiology program at the College of Hedmark in Elverum. It starts in January and is a full time course for 3 semesters. I have applied for funding from my hospital, in exchange for committing myself to a 2 year contract. But if I don't get the funding, I will try to work half time. It will be tough, and a bit tight financially, but I should be able to do it. I can also get a student loan. The important thing to make it work is to have Husband's support.

Sunday our quiet little ER saw some action. Remember, on sundays we are only 2 nurses on the floor and one charge nurse who does all the registrations, answers the telephone etc. We had 4 trafikk accidents, and the roads weren't even slick: first a couple of kids who in swerving to avoid a deer, ended up on the roof in the ditch. Then some tourists got the sun in their eyes and went right over the guard rail and into a cement block. The third was a car full of teenagers driving too fast. They lost control and head-on collided with a couple of older men. And in between all of these there was a COPD patient who could hardly breathe, a chest pain patient and a young girl who had been recieved a knee to the spleen and banged her head during a handball game. Just as the afternoon shift came in to relieve me while I was working on the patient with chest pain the trauma calling in my pocket went off again. I just took it out and gave it to her (it was the 4th MVA), while I finished up with my patient. Ended up going overtime with no lunch break.

Other news:
I have bought plane tickets to come to the US for Mother's operation. I'm flying over on feb 22. Mother's knee replacement is scheduled for feb 23, and I'm staying until march 19, by which time she should be just about ready to drive again. I'll just bring along my books and do a lot of studying while I'm there. It will be great to see Tormod again too:

Tormod seems to be doing well in Ithaca. Step by step he's been coming closer to his goal of a security job. He got his drivers licence at the beginning of the month. Then he took a 2 day course to get a security licence. He still has to do another 16 hr course - I'm not sure if that is conflict management or what, before he gets his badge. And today is his first day as security guard at the Mall. He is also finished with all the preliminaries for the border patrol job, and hopes to hear from homeland security about going to the academy after he turns 21. Still has a couple of weeks to go on that.

Irene and Ingvild are both in school. Doing well I think. This weekend they were both councelors at a Christian Community confirmation camp. Poor Irene was unlucky with the car, which I had let her borrow. She called me on Saturday to say that the oil lamp had lit up when she was out shopping for the camp. She made it to the nearby gas station and bought some oil, but it ran out at the bottom as fast as she poured it in. NAF (the equivalent of AAA) towed the car to a garage in Hamar, and today I got the verdict. The oil pan had a hole the size of a tennisball. Replacing it will cost me about $800. Just what I needed! I don't know what happened, but the roads going out to the camp are pretty rough.

Husband is enjoying his work with the pigs. He keeps telling me funny stories: like today, when he came to work after having had the weekend off, he got quite a shock. One of the pens was empty, though the door to it was closed. The boar had apparently jumped over the side into the neighbor's pen and was busily humping him while the humpee stood there happily chewing on the iron bars of the pen!

Nothing new on Audun. He's working that same market research job. Going to Red Cross Youth meetings. Has a long distance girlfriend in Bosnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment