Thursday, October 16, 2008

workaholic?

In the past 20 days I have had one day off, and that was 10 days ago. Have to admit I'm tired today. Of course part of the reason is that I had a day shift following an evening shift. I hate that. Never get enouph sleep, and come to work feeling like a zombie. Pluss, what with eating breakfast at 6:30, by the time breaktime rolls around (if indeed it ever does) I am famished. In fact I am famished way before noon!
Also I donated blood today, leaving me with a lightheaded feeling (maybe not the greatest idea in the middle of a work day, but hate to make the trip to town on a day off). Anyway, I came away with a workout t-shirt which I can use at spinning tomorrow, and a bunch of iron tablets.
It was still dark, and raining when I left for work at 7 am. The day started with the night shift chewing me out (not me specifically, but as representative for yesterday's evening staff) with a long list of complaints: we hadn't made them coffee, nor cleaned up the dirty utility room, nor emptied the garbage, nor were there enouph beds, nor disinfected the isolation room etc etc. Ok, I admit that I should have checked the dirty utility room before leaving, but I am positive that the rooms where I had patients were tidy and the garbage thrown away. The isolation room could easily wait until the housekeeping staff cleaned it in the morning, and 5 beds was plenty - they hadn't even used 2 of them. So maybe they were just complaining for the sake of complaining. Still, I like to think of myself as conscientious so it is not pleasant to be accused of sloppiness.
However the day picked up when a nurse from the surgical floor on her way through, saw me and said how pleased they had been last night when I brought the isolation patient to them: they had been soooo busy, and were so gratefull that I had taken all the tests (it was a case of suspected mrsa) and installed the patient in the private room and made her comfortable. All loose ends tied up. It made my day, I can tell you.

I am looking forward now to 2 days off, and next week looks a bit less intense as well. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment