Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer vacation

Finished the semester today with two breast cancer surgeries. Finally the last 9 weeks of intense praktical studies coupled with work in the ER have come to an end. It was a period of getting up at 5:30 every day, of leaving the house at 6:45 and coming home at 8 pm - mostly because either dentist appointments, orienteering or dog training followed immediatly after work. For 3 periods in the past 9 weeks, I worked for 12 days in a row before I had a weekend off. Almost every week I had a 15 hour workday, when, after spending 7 1/2 hours as a student in the OR, I went downstairs to the ER to work my regular 7 1/2 hr evening shift.

Ahead of me are 9 weeks of summer vacation. Time for the house and the garden. Time for travel and friends. Time to cook proper meals. I started already this afternoon by cooking spoonbread with fried bananas and steamed aspargus for dinner. Then I watered the plants, fed the cockatails and cleaned their cage. In the garden I rediscovered the strawberry plants under the weeds. They are blooming prolifically and I covered them with netting and also wrapped up the cherry tree in netting.

A phone call to Father, and a surprise visit from my brother-in-law and his familly rounded off the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment