Monday, June 1, 2009

Whitsun O-meet


Whitsun weekend. Lovely warm sunny weather with night-time lows in the 50's, and daytime highs in the 70's! Lilacs and Mountain Ash are blooming, the forrest floor is covered with Arctic Starflowers and violets, bright yellow dandelions dot the lawns. Birds flit to and fro on the business of raising their families and birdsong fills the air. On my morning walk with the dogs, we hear the cuckoo calling and we see a fox cub come out of the brush, and stop to look at us before dissapearing into the wood on the other side of the path...

Since the relative success of running an A-level course in my age group last fall when I managed to complete the course just before everyone had packed up and gone home, I thought I'd try again on saturday. Imagine how pleased I was that I not only completed the course, I was not even last to finish, but actually 3 minutes ahead of the last contestant. This is progress indeed, and I have now signed up to run the short distance A-level course at the orienteering festival at the end of June. Didn't do too badly in Sunday's C-level course coming in the best half (16th of 36) finishing the 3,5 km course in under en hour, and even better in monday's race where I completed the 3,4 km in 48 minutes, and finishing 20th of 39. Tor for his part won 2 4th place prizes over the weekend.

Lucy is a good orienteering dog. She has waited patiently in the finish area where she was tied up in the shade, with a chew bone and her water bowl, sleeping and watching the other people and dogs.

The kids are gone for the weekend. They have taken my car and gone to Oslo to plan their father's 60th birthday party. So Tor Idar and I are alone this weekend. Besides orienteering, I am slowly catching up with the garden, putting in seeds and planting flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment