Saturday, October 30, 2010

A decision is made

It's been a pretty good week. I got a call from the ER at AHUS (Akershus University Hospital) offering me a job the same evening that I was there for the interview. On tuesday I got a call from the day surgery at AHUS with the dissapointing news that I did not get any of the 3 jobs there. Well, I'm not totally surprised. It's hard to find someone less experienced than me. So now I have said no the the offer of an anesthesia position in Bergen, and have handed in my resignation from the ER in Hamar.

How does it feel?
On the one hand relief that the search is over (for now). I look forward to the ER job at AHUS. It is a larger, more comprehensive hospital. I feel that they have shown great eagerness to have me come to work there and agreed immediatly to my request to be paid as a nurse anesthetist. I can start concentrating on how I can make best use of my nurse anesthestist competency in the ER setting.

On the other I'm a little depressed that I haven't been able to land a job actually practicing anesthesia. Was it the right thing to give up the offer in Bergen? Moving our whole household to Bergen felt like a huge undertaking. Plus Husband couldn't get a leave of absense from his job, though he was looking for a job in Bergen. I would have prefered to just commute, and let Husband take care of everything here. However he didn't like the idea of me being away so much, and to be fair, the main part of the responsibility for house and home would have fallen on him. I didn't like the idea of being away so much either. I haven't done a proper spring planting in 2 years and I didn't like the idea of leaving Lucy behind.
Am I doing the right thing by pursuing the developement of my skills in akute and critical care in the ER setting? In a sense that is where I imagine my future. When I think of working in the US, Australia or in a mediteranean country in the future, I imagine myself in an ER setting rather than an anesthesia setting. So maybe this is what is "meant to be", if such a concept has any meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment