Monday, January 3, 2011

Skiing


The cold spell having broken and with two days off work, I got out my skis. It was a bright morning with temperatures in the 20's F. Here I am ready to go.

The ski track is only about 50 yards from our front door. I had Lucy on a lead fastened to my belt, but let her go as soon as we were on the track. We followed it down and around the neighboring houses and there Lucy decided to sniff around and maybe go home. I had to take off my skis and go after her. Finally caught her and put her back on the lead. The track continued across the fields and then divided, one going through farmland, the other headed up into the woods. This is the one I followed.

It was a beautiful morning with the sun shining through the trees. I kept Lucy on leash because I was afraid she'd run home. Whenever I went too fast, she would lie down and let herself be dragged. She also kept getting the lead tangled in her feet. We were out for 2 1/2 hours.

The next day it was still relatively mild and calm, and in the afternoon the sun came out. I couldn't resist getting my skis on again. This time I let Lucy run loose as soon as we got away from the houses, and that worked out a lot better. She pretty much kept to the track behind me. We took a shorter route, only staying out for 1 1/2 hours. Tomorrow I have to start working again, and there is a forecast for snow on thursday. That will be good for the ski tracks as there are a lot of pine needles and sticks in them now, due to the blustery weather we had over New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment