Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 - Expectations and Challenges


For me the new year started in the ER. The roads, as I made my way to work were deserted. Most people had already gone to the places where they were expecting the start of the new year. As revellers set off fireworks early – perhaps to please young children before being sent to bed – colored stars blossomed in the night sky.


My girls are back in London. Sending them off on the train last night was a little sad. We had had such a pleasant Christmas together. But they are young and I can understand the lure of New Years Eve in a big city like London. Audun’s girlfriend came from Germany to spend New Years with him in Lillehammer. Their second New Years together, I think. Last year they watched the fantastic fireworks over Sidney in Australia. Tormod skyped me this evening. So good to see and talk with him. I miss him, but I think he has made himself a good life there in Ithaca, with his jobs, his friends, his cousin and grandmother close at hand. I’m a bit jealous that he got to celebrate Christmas with my mother and sister.


Between patients I am reflecting on the year that is past as well as on the my expectations for the year to come. These are:


  • a change in job (in february)

  • a visit to the girls in England (sometime in the spring)

  • our 10th wedding aniversary (in May)

  • a trip to Peru (in late summer/early fall)

  • competing in agility with Lucy

My new years resolutions reflect my core values as well as the challenges these represent to me:


  1. Continue working on developing and maintaining a positive attitude.

  2. Commitment to the truth

  3. Cultivate social relationships

  4. Balance my professional and personal life

  5. Focus on physical and mental health

  6. Environmental responsibility

Driving home this morning in the first dawn of a new year and a new decade, the roads were still deserted. The cold spell had broken and it was only a few degrees below freezing. On the southern sky a huge sicle moon and above it the morning star like a bright jewel adorned the sky.


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment