Friday, July 1, 2011

Døla-uka 1st to 3rd July: part one



We stayed in the middle cabin. Our hosts lived in the cabin on the right. This is also where we had our common dinners after the run.

What possessed us to choose Døla-uka as our summer orienteering event, and travel 3 hours to a part of Norway where it has been known to snow in july? It was 13 degrees C and pouring rain when we left home, as we progressed north up the valley, the temperature dropped steadily to only 7 degrees C on arrival, though the rain had let up somewhat.

Husband relaxing in the spacious living room with Lucy at his feet.


One of the families in our orienteering club has 3 large cabins that they rent out. For this occasion club members were invited to live there for free. The cabin is spacious, with running hot and cold water, electricity, fully supplied kitchen, tv and fireplace. Staying in our cabin besides husband and myself and Lucy (our dog), are a single man, and two families with 2 children each. It is quite a challenge for our shy dog, not only to be in a strange house, but to share that house with so many strangers. We talked to all the childreen about ignoring her, and not trying to pet her, nevertheless one little boy did try to pet her and got snapped at for his trouble. No harm done, and hopefully he learned his lesson, but it shows that we have to supervise Lucy constantly. So I was glad that I had brought along the travel crate, so we could put her away occasionally.


The view over Savalen Lake from the cabin porch.

The event arena for the first run was in walking distance from the cabins. No sooner was the club tent up than a veritable downpour started. I ran a 2 km A-level course for the sprint. I had expected a much more difficult course. Really, I only had difficulty with the first controll, as it took awhile for me to get my bearings. When I compared mine with husband's C-level course, I really couldn't see the difference in difficulty. Husband won his run. I was last in my class (women 50-54), but second to last of all who ran that course. Ah well.


Husband won. His prize, appropriatly was a towel. It was pouring rain.

We all gathered at the cabin of our hosts to have tacos together after the run. There was candle light, plenty of good food. After dinner the adults continued talking around the long table, while the kids played cards and board games. There were altogether 9 kids and 11 adults. It was so pleasant, and our hosts are truly gracious people. I hadn't bothered to change before walking back to the cabin after the run, and I was the last to shower and only had barely lukewarm water. Maybe that was why I am feeling so cold this evening. My teeth are chattering after taking the dog for her evening potty walk, and I can't wait to get under the duvet



And here is the course map. I got all confused at the start. Didn't realize that the start controll was in the intersection of a ski path and a road, not the road intersection. Once I got my bearings I did ok. From control nr 10 I went back up and around the lake instead of continuing east which would have been shorter. I was worried that the marshy area at the east end would be hard to get through. Apparently, according to those who chose that route it was just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment