Sunday, July 3, 2011

Døla-uka, July 1st to 3rd: part 3

Cows at the summer farm where today's run was being held.

Before leaving for todays run in Alvdal, we had to pack and clean out the cabin. We got up at 6am, packed up our stuff, and then sat down to coffee and breakfast. At 8am husband took Lucy for a long walk, while I started cleaning out the cabin. By this time the others were up and in various stages of breakfasting and packing, so I started by sweeping the bedroom. As there were 2 bathrooms, I next went ahead and started cleaning one of them. By the time I was done, the clutter in the kitchen was pretty much gone, so I started on the first counter and stove. I was cleaning the second counter and sink, when one of the other ladies said I had done enough, and practically took the wash rag out of my hand. Husband was back from his walk with Lucy, so we left for the run.

Here you can see the summer farm with the tents of the orienteering arena behind.

Lucy waited for us tied to a fence while we are out running.


The arena was in a field behind an idyllic summer farm, with cows grazing in the adjoining pasture, and cowpiles between the tents. The 3.3 km C-level course was dissapointing: almost the entire course was laid along paths, with the controls directly on the paths. Of 2 stretches that left the path one was marked with plastic bands tied to the trees, for the other one could choose a detour by sticking to the path or take the more direct compass course. Husband and I chose the compass course, while the kid who won stayed on the path. Anyway, with the exception of that one stretch, the course was more like an N (novice) than a C-level course.



Målfrid and I running up the finish line. Målfrid beat me on every run.


Here is the course map. As you can see it follows paths all the time. The only real choices were from 6 to 7 where one could cut across by compass course or follow the path around (I cut across). The other choice was form 9 to 10 where one could either follow the stream or take the road, follow the fence and then cut down to the stream. I took the road and it was a killer: steep, boring, and you still had to wade through the brush along the fence. I regret not having followed the stream, which surely was a pleasanter route, if not faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment