Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Compost for the Planting Boxes

Gardenboxes on the back lawn

This past week the spring has finally come. There are both snowdrops and coltsfoot. The swallows have returned from wherever they spend the winter as has the wren. I have seen swans as well, and the ducks are swimming around in the duck pond! The nights have been above freezing, the days were first rainy, but now we have had several sunny days as well. Today I got out the wheelbarrow and garden tools and went down to look at my garden boxes. The ones from last year need to be topped up with more compost, and the new ones that Husband built for me in the fall need filling up. I spent a couple of hours doing just that. Getting more or less composted cow manure from behind the horse pasture. It's a bit of a treck, but the field is dry and though the piles are still frozen, I could scrape off the top 10 - 20 cm. I'm nowhere near done. Hopefully on friday I can put in another couple of hours and get at least some of the boxes ready for planting. Then I have to buy seeds and plants... I can hardly wait to get wholesome organic greens from the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment