Friday, May 31, 2013

Malungen

The beaver dam at Malungen

Yesterday morning I drove to work to join my colleagues in a team building trip to Malungen in Stange. The bus was to leave at 7:45. There we stood in the rain and waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually one of the managers coming with us, Tonje, called the bus, which, it turned out had been waiting for us somewhere else. We saw him pass the entrance to where we were waiting by and disappear down the road, but soon he had turned in the round-about and arrived at the place where we were waiting. There was also the problem that he didn't know where we were going and couldn't find it on his GPS, so Tonje had to keep going forward to give directions. Eventually though, after a couple of hours we arrived at Malungen. 

The Stabbur (storehouse)

The Barn

The Main House
Ready for lunch in the dining room 

The program consisted of teaching interspersed with games. The mood was relaxed and quantities of Malungen's house ale were consumed from the time of arrival until far into the night. I won't describe all the games and theoretical teaching except to say that  I was responsible for part of the program as well: a report from the Skandinavian Emergency Medicine Congress 2013. It was well recieved, though I hadn't counted on the 2 nurses with main responsibility for Trauma and ACLS preparedness being there. My report concerned "what was new in Emergency Medicine in 2012". Of practical exercises we had to demonstrate correct hand washing technique and put together an ambu bag correctly. 

House Ale

Elisabeth with her pups.

Demonstrating handwashing before dinner.

We were well fed: venison lasagne for lunch and barbeque for dinner. When we arrived about half the participants were already there, having driven up on their own. Among others a colleague (above) who brought her doggies with her. After dinner Fritjof and Patrick tried out their fishing poles, though the fish they caught were miniscule. Some went swimming (too cold for me!). The party went on until 4 or 5 in the morning. I went to my room at 9 pm. At that point I'd been sociable for 13 hours and that was all I could manage. I was lucky to have my own room. Most had to share. I did my yoga, read a bit, and went to sleep. Early in the morning I got up to walk around the lake and enjoy the stillness before breakfast and the bus ride home. 
The benches looking onto the beaver dam

Patrick fishing


Fritjoff fishing

My bedroom was in the red house.

No comments:

Post a Comment