Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas in Kritsa

The Christmas tree at the entrance to Kritsa

This was a bit of an unusual Christmas for me, firstly because I celebrated it in Crete, and second because I celebrated alone (except for the dog). Being in Crete, and alone there just wasn't all the stress involved that usually precedes Christmas. Yes, I did clean the house on the 23rd, just like in Norway. But for the past 10 days I have done no baking, and no christmas shopping. I didn't even write any cards though I had wanted to. However last wednesday, I couldn't find a store that sold christmas cards in Agios Nicolaos. Yesterday I actually did find a store that sold christmas cards but felt that it was too late - they probably wouldn't arrive before February now.  
The corn husk creche
I don't have a tree, either. The only Christmas decorations I brought were a corn husk creche that Ilian gave me for Christmas over 30 years ago, and an incense burner with Norwegian Christmas incense. I bought some traditional Christmas bread and Greek Christmas cookies from the women's cooperative. 

A decorated tree in the lower village square
In the morning on Christmas eve I sat down and wrote some Christmas e-mails and bought some gift cards from amazon for various family members. I had fun choosing different animations, hoping the recipients who are gathered at Ilian's house for Christmas will share them with each other. 

On my walk to Panagia Kera: a garden

On my walk to Panagia Kera: an orchard of olives and oranges

On my walk to Panagia Kera: a family of goats

In the afternoon I walked through the village and took the back roads/tracks down to Panagia Kera, one of the best preserved byzantine churches in Crete. We've been there 2 or 3 times before and it was always closed. This time though I knew to go to the ticket office by the road,and after buying a ticket, the lady took me to the church and opened it up. It does have some very nice 13th and 14th century frescoes!

Panagia Kera

Fresco of Saint George

In the evening then, I put on Norwegian Christmas music and sang along while cooking my Christmas dinner of chicken, stuffing, broccoli and salad. The stuffing was made from some old walnut bread, wild sage which I'd picked on my walk, chopped mushrooms, onions and red pepper and melted butter. It turned out delicious! So was the chicken seasoned with salt, pepper and Greek saffron. So was the broccoli steamed in butter with toasted sesame seeds, and the almost Greek salad made from wild greens (bought at market), spinach, onion, cucumber, pepper, cherry tomatoes and olives.

Nativity scene in the upper village square

During Dinner I skyped with Ingvild, and after that with Irene, Tormod and Roland and touching base with Ilian and Sharon as well. Don't know where Beren and Crystal were. Then I watched the Hunger Games before going to bed. All in all, a great Christmas Eve!







1 comment:

  1. Oh my god you're making me so hungry with all those details! Sounds delicious.

    By the way, I love that photograph of the Christmas tree in the side of the road.

    I'm glad you've had a good Christmas :) I have too. It's been pretty traditional actually considering. I've been watching a lot of movies and series, been eating a whole lot and been playing board games and stuff. I've been playing chess with the people at the homeless center during fieldwork and I'm actually getting a lot better, I really like chess.

    Have a safe trip back home Mom. Love

    ReplyDelete