Friday, April 1, 2011

London to Cornwall

Got up early this morning and went to Marjana's cafe for breakfast. This time I had a hommous, haloumi and tomato bagel. The metro station is a minute away, and Ingvild went through first. I however didn't have enough money on my oyster card. When I went to the machine it refused to recognize my card so I stood in line for the ticket guy. After the 2-3 people before me were done, he validated my card and sent me back to the machine to top it up. In the meantime, the cafe called Ingvild to tell her that I had left my suitcase there! My second travel blooper! If I'd had money on the Oyster card, we would have been halfway to Paddington Station before getting the call!

The rest of the trip went without incident. It was wonderful from the train windows to see London falling away, and green fields appear with pastured cows, sheep with tiny lambs, free range chickens, and even a hog. Norman churches with their cross-shape and spuare towers, little villages, and farms. I love the english landscape. As we got into Devon and Cornwall the train began following the edge of the sea, and we passed resort towns, quiet now, in the off-season.


Irene met me at the station and we walked to her house. Here she is in front of the student houses. And below is Irene in her room. Much more spacious than Ingvild's room i London and with it's own bathroom. The kitchen too, was twice the size. Unlike London, where most of the students are still there revising for exams, the students at Falmouth are mostly away on Easter break. So we had Irene's flat to ourselves.



After dropping off my stuff, we went into Falmouth for the afternoon. It is the cutest town, reminding me of Ithaca. We shopped at her health food store, and I got my hair cut by her hairdresser. It was the coolest place full of odds and ends reflecting his various interests, and heavy on the sci-fi, particularly Star Wars. The clipping session was accompanied by rather loud, but not unpleasant music, and he told us about the parties he throws in the shop with dj's and live bands.

Haircut in Falmouth



The main street in Falmouth


A view of the harbor through an alley. Isn't the decoration great!?

Irene is really into organic food and vegetarianism. We watched the documentary "Earthlings" this evening. While it focuses on the horrible attitudes and practices of human beings towards animals as they use and abuse them for companions, food, clothing, science and entertainment, I didn't have the impression that what they showed was manipulated. I didn't like that it just gave a onesided picture, however I agree that it is important to be aware of the dark side of our relationship with animals as well as the positive side. And while I am not sure that I will become a vegetarian as a result of this awareness, I do intend to be more discerning in my consumption of animal products. In Norway for example, even though many of the practices so common in the USA and many European countries are illegal, poultry and swine do not lead a live in accordance with their basic instincts unless they are organic. Cows, sheep and goats have a pretty good life in Norway though.


No comments:

Post a Comment