Wednesday, January 9, 2013

28 Day Detox report #1

I started the 28 day detox program as planned on Monday.
 Why detox in January, one might ask. 

  1. I hope for a slimming effect
  2. It seems a good time of year to "reformat" various aspects of life, to take a step away, reflect, try out some things with an eye to developing them into habits if I like them. 
This program is very comprehensive as it targets both body and mind. 

So I started on monday by giving up caffeine, chocolate, black and green tea, sugar, refined grains, meat and fish. 
A lemon squeezed into a mug of hot water with honey replaces my morning coffee. 
Ginger tea replaces my evening cocao. Herb teas replace black and green tea during the day. Otherwise I eat pretty much as before, though vegetarian obviously - we never eat much meat anyway, so it's no hardship. I continue to make a green smoothie every morning and have added a glass of vegetable juice each afternoon. Helios makes a delicious organic vegetable juice containing primarily redbeet, carrot and sellery, but flavored with acerola and lemon juice. It is quite lovely!

The only part of the bathing regime that I can follow is skin brushing morning and evening. I bought myself a brush for this purpose. It's supposed to stimulate the lymph system, and is actually quite nice, making the skin feel all warm, tingly and alive. I've also started doing an aromatherapy steam before bedtime.  Since I don't have a bathtub, and thus can't do all the various baths I have decided to go to the pool once a week for swimming, hot tub and sauna. I went yesterday. First I bought myself a new swimsuit, and a clipp card. I am a weak swimmer and have never tried to swim for exercise. This time I headed straight to the lap pool, and did 8 laps, 2 in breast stroke, 2 crawl, 2 side stroke and 2 back stroke. I had to rest at the end of each lap to catch my breath. Honestly, I had no idea that swimming was so strenuous. Afterward the muscles ached in my arms, legs and back! 
After swimming I lay in the hot tub on the roof. It was wonderful to lie there, being gently massaged by the bubbles, while watching birds fly by overhead. I ended my pool visit with 10 minutes - all I can stand - in the sauna, before showering and rubbing massage oil into my skin. The Weleda calendula massage oil has such a fresh sitrusy smell!

So I've mentioned swimming as part of the exercise regime. I start the day with the sun salutation, a yoga exercise. Besides swimming once a week, I've been doing pilates, and on the weekend I'll probably go to the gym for cycling. Regular exercise is part of the program, and I haven't exercised since November. 

Then there is the mind detox part. I am trying to organize my day, with the help of Google Calendar. Making time for daily meditation. Starting to practice mindfullness. I wasn't aware that I was multitasking so much. I listen to audio books or the radio while driving, doing housework or walking the dog. I read while eating. Always I seem to have half my mind on other things than what I am actually about. So during this program I have put away my novels and audio books and will try to practice mindfullness, at least in some situations.

For the next few days I am working and so will have to adjust the detox program to my work schedule. Hope it works out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment