Thursday, January 3, 2013

Flying start


The new year is beginning to reveal itself. I had such a great first day. Started on all of my resolutions: did some pilates, learned som Greek, listened to a dog training video, did my meditations, made New Years Dinner etc. Then, yesterday I had my first day at work. A day shift. 2 travellers and 2 new nurses had their first day – Welcome to the Madhouse! We were shorthanded, only 8 or 9 nurses on the floor, as 3 were out sick and a fourth went home early, also sick. So instead of the usual teams, four of us were teamed up with the new arrivals pluss I had my student. One of the aides came in even though she was sick to order supplies, and then go home and back to bed. She was still there by end of shift. Our supplies were in a state of chaos after the Christmas Holiday and we had run out of everything. There were 20 patients in the ER when the shift began at 7:30. By 9 am there were 30, by 1 pm 50, at 2 pm there were 60 patients.

How can one day exhaust me so much! I was a wreck when I came home. Unable to enjoy our visit with our neighbor and Husbands closest coworker to whom we were invited for supper. And now, I wonder if I will be able to enjoy my day off. When I awoke this morning, I just wanted to turn over and go back to sleep.

I did drag myself out of bed at 6:45. When I went out with Lucy to get the paper at 8 am, I found that it had snowed in the night. A soft white layer to soften and brighten the night. Our house looked so cozy as I wandered back up the driveway, with the christmas tree and star still glowing in the windows, smoke rising from the chimney. Perhaps I will be able to take hold of the day after all. 

1 comment: